Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel is a product which I’ve been lemming over for the longest time. However, it’s pretty expensive and since I’ve already have so many unopened products waiting for me to use, I really couldn’t justify buying it. BUT.. Cult Beauty had a summer goody bag promotion back in June 2017 and I AM A GONER! I clicked buy faster than you can say “Wait! Be rational! You only have 1 face!” What can I say? Skincare is my crack!
Anyway, let’s just check its ingredients below before we carry on with this review!
Step 1: Water/Aqua/Eau, Alcohol Denat. (SD Alcohol 40-B), GlycolicAcid, Potassium Hydroxide, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Salicylic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Lactic Acid, MandelicAcid, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Menthone Glycerin Acetal, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Soy Isoflavones, Copper PCA, Zinc PCA, Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Alcohol, Polysorbate 80, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Benzoic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate
Step 2: Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Bicarbonate, Resveratrol, Retinol, Ascorbic Acid, Ubiquinone, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phospholipids, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Soy Isoflavones, Achillea Millefolium Extract , Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Copper PCA, Sodium PCA, Zinc PCA, Dimethicone, Lecithin, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Alcohol, BHT, PEG-30 Stearate, Octoxynol-9, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol
It contains a cocktail of almost all of the well known AHAs and BHA as well as Retinol AND 2 types of Vitamin C in the form of Ascorbic Acid and Ascorbyl Palmitate! This product is definitely not for those with sensitive skin or people who are newbies in using active ingredients!
How does the Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel fare?
Dr Dennis Gross’ signature Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel combines five Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids with potent antioxidants (including Retinol, Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ubiquinone and Resveratrol), to smooth, refine and protect your skin. The patented two-step pads technology instantly improves luminosity and with regular use, minimises the appearance of fine lines and large pores, revealing a more even tone and texture. In a nutshell, this product is an acid peel which you can use daily at home instead of at your dermatologist’s clinic.
Below I’ve included a short clip in which the good doctor himself (Yes, it’s Dr Dennis Gross!) explain more about the product itself:
Another video on how you can actually use the product:
Anyway, I started using this product about one week before my period which was a mistake on my part. This is because my skin usually gets more sensitive and acts up during that period. However, I was so excited that I started using the product straight away once I’ve received it from Cult Beauty. When I first used this product, my skin actually felt a strong stinging sensation which surprised me since my skin was used to strong acids and tolerated them quite well. And what was more surprising to me was that this sensation carried on every time I used the product for at least a week. I was beginning to suspect that my skin at that time just wasn’t in the best condition to not only start using a new product but also a strong acid peel at that. However, after about one week, my skin got used to the product and there wasn’t anymore stinging sensation when I used it.
Side Note: I’ve read in an article before which states that it’s best to introduce new skincare products about one week after the last day of your period. That’s when your skin is supposedly at its most resilient condition.
Since I bought the product which contains only 30 treatments, I’ve already finished using it in around one month’s time. So.. What’s my verdict on it? Let me give you a clue.. My wallet is now wailing in a corner and cursing me right now.. Haha.. I LOVE IT SO SO MUCH!
After my skin got used to the product, it was just all smooth sailing from there. I usually take very good care of my skin but this product has pushed it to the next level! At that time, there was 2 areas on my face which bothered me – the right side of my cheek and my nose. I had 2 very persistently clogged pores on the right side of my cheek which refuses to go away despite me using my Lotion P50 religiously every night. Now don’t go rolling your eyes at me, it was really 2 big clogged pores. I tried to squeeze it out but it only resulted in one of the clogged pores “upgrading” itself into a red angry spot. Anyway, after I have already swiped Step 1 of the treatment pad all over my face, I used it again as a mini-mask by covering it just on the clogged pores for another 2 minutes before proceeding with Step 2. Lo and behold! The next morning while I was washing my face, the grits in those clogged pores were dislodged from my face! Yes, I was finally rid of those suckers!
Another quite visible improvement which I could see on my face is that the blackheads on my nose is very much reduced. Blackheads are one of the most irritating skin conditions for me. I used to go for professional facials where they would extract out the gunk from my nose every month but I haven’t got the time to go for a proper facial in months and they just kept multiplying on my nose! After I’ve used this product for around one month, I can definitely see that they have reduced around 50% or more.
Now the main reason why I really love this product is that my skin’s texture is completely changed from using this product. I usually try not to touch my face too much to prevent acne outbreaks but lately I’ve been noticing that my skin feels so so smooth, almost silk-like and this condition stays even after I’ve not used this product for one week or so (my repurchase is on the way!).
The only thing about this product which I need to caution you guys again is that it’s a strong exfoliant. In fact, I think that it might be a stronger exfoliant than my P50 lotion. Therefore I wouldn’t advise those with particularly sensitive skins to try this product. Even if you have normal skin, please remember to go slow with this product. I do not want you guys to experience the pains of over exfoliating your skin. I strongly recommend that you pair this product with a good moisture barrier repair cream or serum to help your skin better resist the actives (Stratia Liquid Gold is fantastic for this!).
Where can you find it?
I bought this product from Cult Beauty online. It retails at £70.00 (30 Treatments).
Note that I bought the version which is in a tub form. They also have those which are in sealed packettes for one time use and they are slightly more expensive at £73.50 (30 Treatments).
Thank you for reading!
Around 2 months ago back in June, Cult Beauty had a deal in which if you spend £110 on their website, you'll get a goody bag worth over £170. Like the good sucker that I am, I immediately bought some of Dr Dennis Gross' products which I've been lemming at for months and months but never bought due to their price just to try and justify to myself the purchase (Hey, it has a goody bag! What a great deal, amirite?!). I swear I look at beauty products the way some people look at their favourite movie stars or entertainers (with emoji heart eyes). Below are the products which were in the goody bag along with my purchase:
Anyway, I thought that I'll try and give you some first impressions of the products that were included in the goody bag and how they fared for me.
1) Yuni Shower Sheet Large Body Wipe – I asked my brother to test out this product and he didn't really like it much. Although it smells really nice and is a nice size for the body, there was a slight residue on the skin after wiping and it feels sticky.
2) Moon Juice Power Dust Sachet – I used this product by mixing it with my coffee. Unfortunately it doesn't dissolve too well and when I drank my coffee, I could still feel some powder residue scratching my throat. It was ok taste-wise. It has a slightly spicy herbal taste that doesn't clash with the taste of my coffee. I couldn't really vouch for its claims to "promoting positivity, reducing inflammation (one of the key causes of ageing), reducing stress levels and balancing hormones" though since I only used it that one time. However I must tell you that I was having flu and a bad cough while I was testing this product and surprisingly my cough got better the next day after I had drank this powder. Was it my cough medicine, was it this powder or was it just a coincidence? I really couldn't tell..
3) Tan-Luxe The Face – Unlike most beauty bloggers in the Western world, I'm not really keen on the tanned look. In Asia, the ideal beauty is one with perfect porcelain skin (think Fan Bing Bing). Therefore I didn't use this.
4) Huda Beauty Farah Lashes – My heart sank a little when I saw these fake lashes. That is because they are way too large and long for my eyes. I have the typical Asian almond shape eyes with not much eyelid space. I tried to just measure it against my eyes to see how it would look like and honestly I look pretty ridiculous. These lashes nearly reached all the way to my eyebrows! Ha!
5) Clear Summer Travel bag – When I saw that this item was included in the goody bag, I wasn't too excited about it. But when I actually received it, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's of a pretty good quality! I think it would be nice to take it for travelling!
6) Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream – This cream surprised me with its texture. I was expecting it to be a gel sort of texture but it turned out to be much thicker than that. It's definitely more of a gel cream texture but luckily it wasn't sticky once it absorbs. I think that it's relatively hydrating but for its price, there are much better creams out there. Another reason why I didn't take to this cream is that my skin always gets a little heated up whenever I apply this cream, almost like it has some low grade inflammation going on. I wouldn't purchase the full size product mainly due to this issue.
7) January Labs Daily Brightening Tonic – I was excited about this product beacuse it was recommended by Caroline Hirons in her Favourites video. It's a very mild exfoliating toner that I used in the mornings. It brightens slightly without being too harsh on your skin. I also need to inform you that this product smells a little "funky" if you are used to nice smelling products. Personally I don't really mind smelly products as long as it works and it's not too smelly!
8) Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon – This is smooth and the colour is pretty universal. It's a quick fuss free way to play up your eyes.
9) Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask – I tried this mask just once and wasn't too impressed by it. I mean, it smooths and does condition my hair but it's no more moisturising than my normal hair conditioners.
10) Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel – I do not use brow gel so I've passed it on to another person.
11) By TERRY Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder – I used this powder on top of my Thanaka powder as a setting powder of sorts. Although I used quite a lot of it, it wasn't chalky at all and in fact, I noticed that my complexion looked quite fresh and dewy all day. I think that this powder definitely helped my makeup to stay intact for a longer period of time. I might purchase the full size version of this powder.
12) Kai Rose Perfume Oil – Ok, I was pretty skeptical about this perfume to be honest. I'm not really a rose perfume kinda girl and I was worried that it would be some old lady smell. Again I was surprised that it's a beautiful floral feminine scent that's lovely for summer! I love this!
13) UMA Absolute Anti-Ageing Eye Oil – It's moisturising and sinks in pretty fast despite it being an oil. I haven't been using it for long so I couldn't testify for its anti-ageing effects.
14) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Extra Strength Formula – I love this! Full review coming!
15) Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet – It's a light refreshing gel moisturiser that's a joy to use in this scorching hot weather that we've been having.
16) £15 Cult Beauty Gift Code – Much appreciated! Thank you!
17) TONYMOLY I'm Real Mask Aloe – This is a moisturising sheet mask that feels cool and comfortable to use. The results are not super outstanding but it is quite standard given its price.
18) Lime Crime Matt Velvetines in "Riley" – This matte liquid lipstick does live up to its promise of being smooch-proof and feels comfortable on the lips. However, the shade "Riley" wasn't too flattering on my lips. I felt that the dark brown shade made me look much older and since I have rather thin lips, it sort of emphasized that as well. I have passed this product to my mother and she likes it.
Hope that my short reviews of the products are useful to you! Thank you for reading!
Clinique’s Moisture Surge is a well-known gel moisturiser that has existed for many years. I picked up a 125ml sized tub of this moisturiser way back in January 2017 because I had actually used this product many years ago and remembered liking it a lot. Before I begin with this review, let’s just check out its ingredients below:
Water / Aqua / Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Glycerin, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Silybum Marianum (Lady’S Thistle) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Sucrose, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Trehalose, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Sorbitol, Oleth-10, Tromethamine, Caffeine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Caprylyl Glycol, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, PEG-8, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate / VP Copolymer, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Carbomer, Hexylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)
How does the Clinique Moisture Surge fare?
The Clinique Moisture Surge is an oil-free gel moisturiser that helps to hydrate your skin without leaving any greasy feeling behind. Many people swear by it and Caroline Hirons (the famous UK skincare guru) even placed it in her Hall of Fame. And I also remembered loving this product when I used it way back then. BUT… I hate this moisturiser now! Yes, don’t be surprised! I’m not sure if Clinique had re-formulated this product but it feels so siliconey now! As I’ve mentioned before, I really don’t mind dimethicone or other silicones in my skincare as long as I can’t feel it on my skin. However, this product seems to just sit on my skin without absorbing and I can literally feel the siliconey texture when I applied my sunscreen over it. Additionally, sometimes when I’m over zealous with my serum application and I use this moisturiser over it, “rolling” or “flaking” results and that just irritates me to no end. Clinique, what have you done to this product?!
I’ve resorted to using this product as a sleeping pack at night by gooping copious amounts of it on my face as the last step in order to quickly use it up.
Where can you find it?
I bought this product from Changi Airport Duty Free at S$80.30 (125ml sized).
Clinique is a pretty common brand and I think you should be able to find this product at all major departmental stores. It retails at S$75 (50ml sized).
Thank you for reading!